30 July 2016

Wrapping Things Up

So I finished up Thursday morning, I gave my presentation to the staff and was out by lunch. I think it went well, I think I was able to inspire some people, and I think I got the ball rolling. They started throwing some things around I hadn't considered--I mean, I'm one person, hello--and seemed pretty impressed by the amount of work I was able to do on a task that's literally impossible for one 20 year old with no experience to complete in two months. Which is nice.

USB with presentation, 3D printed model of timeline kiosk, colour scheme options

As we left the room, my boss told me to bug him for a letter to add to my resumé--which I'll do, definitely--and wanted to know if I might be interested in working with the project team he wants to continue what I've started this summer. Since I'll be at UNCA, I'll be as close as several staffers who actually work there full time. Maybe I can make a part-time job of this (since I will need to actually attend class). Certainly I can stay involved, and there's a real chance they don't want to have to train anyone else; by now, I know more about exhibit design than anyone else on staff. Possibly including my boss, who was in museum management. They do hire past interns, sometimes, if the interns are dedicated and able to do something that the normal staff can't or don't have time to do.

They've said that interns are pretty much welcome to stay a night, so long as you clear it with everyone ahead of time. Would I want to? Well, probably not, I'll have a dorm room to myself an hour away and building 27 smells a bit. But it's nice to know. I'll certainly bring people to evening at PARI--heck, I'll help out with evening at PARI.

They're also starting the process of working with the USSRC. They emailed the guy I spoke with, and hopefully can actually develop a more relevant collection than half a room full of nothing but space shuttle stuff.

I've done something that will at least start to create a lasting change. I began the process of learning a useful trade--is exhibit design a trade? or useful? Meh. I began to learn how to do it, anyway, and there is a demand for it. I also made some useful contacts, since...I wouldn't mind doing this for a living. I would prefer to do it not all by myself, but most if not all museums seem to have more than one person working on design. I also learned how to use SketchUp and the basics of design briefs--although I have a feeling that the specific format changes based on situations.

All in all? Good summer. Now I want to sleep and not even think about sketchup/3D modelling/design briefs for a few weeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment